Ottawa, August 14, 2017 – Welcoming the opportunity to help shape the federal government’s priorities for the coming year, Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan), has issued its recommendations for Budget 2018 to the House of Commons Standing Committee of Finance.
As the national voice of Canada’s colleges and institutes, CICan took this opportunity to advocate for measures that would help colleges and institutes realize their full potential in addressing the skills development needs of Canadians, and to infuse innovation in their communities and regions to increase productivity and strengthen the middle class.
Here are CICan’s recommendations:
- Increase the current funding for college applied research to $100 million per year, as a first step towards ramping up this investment to $300 million per year by 2022.
- Make a new investment of $25 million per year in research support funding for college and institute applied research offices to stabilize their role as innovation centres in their communities and regions.
- Invest in a second round of the Post-secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund, prioritising investments that will makes campuses greener, more energy efficient and aligned with key priorities including Indigenous learning, entrepreneurship development, and innovation.
- Invest further in adult basic education, essential skills training and upskilling for Indigenous people to improve labour market outcomes and support economic development in Indigenous, rural, remote, and northern communities.
- Invest $26 million per year to support truth and reconciliation programming and wrap-around services at post-secondary institutions to improve the recruitment, retention and academic success of Indigenous students.
- Enhance incentives to employers for the retention of third and fourth year apprentices through to completion.
- Invest in incubators for student entrepreneurs at colleges and institutes to expand employment options for young graduates and career transition opportunities for mature learners.
- Fund international work-integrated learning mobility opportunities for college and institute students to enable them to acquire the skills needed to compete in a global marketplace.
To read more about each recommendation, download the full submission here.
CICan believes that these recommendations will enable colleges and institutes to help both Canadians and Canadian businesses be more productive, competitive, and innovative in their communities.
CICan and its members look forward to working with the federal government to contribute to inclusive growth and build vibrant communities across Canada.
About Colleges and Institutes Canada:
Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) is the voice of Canada’s publicly-supported colleges, institutes, cegeps and polytechnics, and an international leader in education for employment with ongoing programs in over 25 countries. Colleges and institutes add over $190B to Canada’s economy each year and contribute to inclusive economic growth by working with industry and community partners to offer more than 8000 programs at campuses serving urban, rural, remote, and northern communities.
For more information:
Senior Strategic Communications Officer
Colleges and Institutes Canada
Tel. : 613-746-2222 ext. 3131
Twitter : @CollegeCan