Global Goals Week is about action, awareness, and accountability for the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). A sustainable future requires each of us to do our part – SDG 13 challenges us to take urgent action to combat climate change. Our new milestone report asks the question: Are We Ready?
The climate change emergency requires urgent collective action. Our new report details the role colleges and institutes play in addressing climate change and supporting Canada’s transition to a net-zero economy.
“Are We Ready?” is a scan and compilation of college and institute leadership in climate action across three crucial areas: Curriculum, Applied Research and Community Engagement, and Campus Infrastructure and Indigenous Approaches to Sustainability.
- The report reveals how colleges and institutes integrate principles of sustainability across program disciplines to address skills needed in the green economy; showcases how applied research helps businesses and community organizations find innovative solutions to lower their carbon footprints; and highlights strategies to plan for sustainability and energy efficiency when building infrastructure, both on and off campus.
This report is not only a showcase, but also a resource to inspire more post-secondary leaders to act in the fight to combat climate change. Share it widely!
And, don’t miss our first climate workshop: Is our curriculum ready to support a low-carbon economy?
- Be among the first to dive into a brand-new report! The latest research reveals that approximately 10% of all our member programs incorporate the principles of sustainability. But is that enough to support the workforce needs of a low-carbon economy? Workshop: September 21.
For more, visit the Perspectives Blog:
- SDG 15: We need biodiversity to improve air quality. Plant and land biodiversity is one of the biggest contributors to good air quality. With around 40% of Canada’s land base covered in forests, we are incredibly lucky, but we also need to ensure we conserve this natural gift.
- SDG 12: Sustainable food ensures a sustainable future. Did you know that Earth Overshoot Day fell on July 28 this year? That’s the date when humanity has used all the biological resources that Earth can regenerate each year.
- SDG 7: We all have a role to play in energy efficiency. Did you know that renewable energy sources currently provide about 18% of Canada’s total primary energy supply? Water, wind, and biomass are the most common.
- SDG 8 & SDG 9: Strong and successful small businesses make resilient and sustainable communities. Did you know that small businesses make up more than 98% of employer businesses in Canada and employ more than 10 million individuals? That’s a huge footprint and represents almost two thirds (64%) of the total labour force!
Don’t forget: The SDG Accord is the education sector’s collective response to the Global Goals.
- The Accord inspires, celebrates, and advances the critical role of education in delivering on the SDGs. As signatories, we maximize the impact of our efforts, share knowledge, commit to doing more, and hold each other accountable. So far, we have 34 member signatories. Your institution could join next!