April 19, 2022Though the wins for colleges and institutes are less explicit than we might have hoped, there’s $56 billion worth of opportunity that our sector is ready to take on! As always, the way we advocate isn’t just about speaking up for our members; it’s also about making sure that the federal government understands how colleges and institutes support their own priorities. Here’s how we see it.
- Climate action, reducing greenhouse gases, and low-carbon industries
- The key here is skills training; building a green economy will require workers to learn new skills! The success of the Canada Growth Fund will depend on access to training opportunities like reskilling, upskilling, microcredentials, and work-integrated learning to fill the new jobs that will be created in a green economy.
- College and institute campuses are already leaders in net-zero and LEED-certified facilities, learning environments, and research centres that give students the opportunity to learn and practice their skills in real environments on the leading edge of sustainable design!
- Innovation and investment
- Each year, more and more Canadian businesses and community organizations of all sizes benefit from real solutions to real problems through college and institutes applied research!
- Data from our latest survey paints a picture of what college and institute applied research already offers Canada’s innovation ecosystem and what we can still achieve if we think more strategically about investment.
- It’s also important that research is properly protected. We’re excited to see support for post-secondary institutions to identify, assess, and mitigate potential risks to research security through the Research Support Fund and the Research Security Centre.
- Attracting and retaining international talent
- For growing the economy and addressing labour shortages, international student recruitment is a big deal! Colleges and institutes ensure that those coming to start a new life in Canada have the resources and support they need to realize their aspirations.
- Did you know? Despite a decrease in applicants in 2020, demand for study permits at Canadian colleges and institutes is now up 40% over pre-pandemic numbers! (On top of that, approval rates were also up by 10% in 2021 over 2020 lows).