Keyano College is a comprehensive community institution in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo. Stretching from north-central Alberta to the borders of Saskatchewan and the Northwest Territories, Wood Buffalo is one of the largest municipalities in Canada. Established as the Alberta Vocational Centre in 1965, the institution changed its name to Keyano (a Cree word for “sharing”) College 10 years later. Over the years, Keyano’s programs and services have grown with the community, reflecting the changing demands and interests of the region, its broadening multicultural orientation, and constantly changing technologies. Throughout this time, Keyano has proactively positioned itself as a community builder meeting both the training and skills acquisition needs of industry, and the personal enrichment and cultural needs of the Wood Buffalo community.
Keyano served nearly 3,100 distinct credit students in 2014/15 through campuses in Fort McMurray, and Fort Chipewyan and through our Learning Centres in Fort McKay, Gregoire Lake, Conklin and Janvier. The College offers programs that lead to certificates, diplomas, certificates of qualification (trades), and baccalaureate degrees. The College also supports the development of professional knowledge and skills in several sectors, including energy, construction, business, health and safety, arts, sciences, education, human services, and transportation. A wide range of corporate training options are available to client companies.
- Opened in 1965 as the Alberta Vocational Centre in Fort McMurray, the school became “Keyano College” in 1975.
- Keyano is a Cree word that roughly translated means “sharing”. The original slogan for the College was adapted from that to be “Yours, Mine and Ours”.
- The first graduating class was a welding class. It was appropriate at the school’s official opening that same month, the Minister of Education cut the chain ‘ribbon’ with a blowtorch.
- Working with partner institutions in Alberta, Keyano offers collaborative degrees in nursing, elementary education, and business administration, that allow students to stay in Fort McMurray while earning their degrees.
- Keyano regularly tops Pan Global’s Power Engineering Outstanding Achievement Student Awards.
8115 Franklin Avenue
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Toll Free: 800-251-1408