Ottawa, June 30, 2022– Earlier this month, 12 Canadian leaders in post-secondary education were recognized by the World Federation of Colleges and Polytechnics’ (WFCP) fifth annual Awards of Excellence during a ceremony in Basque Country (Spain) on the occasion of the 10th Bi-Annual WFCP World Congress. The awards recognize WFCP member institutions and celebrate their contributions to excellence in the global TVET sector.
This year, recipients were recognized in twelve distinct categories. Within those categories, the Canadian recipients included three individuals and eight colleges and institutes, as well as Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) itself.
For institutions and organizations:
- Southern Alberta Institute of Technology, British Columbia Institute of Technology, and Lambton College were awarded Gold, Silver, and Bronze in the Applied Research and Innovation category;
- Durham College was awarded Bronze in the Cyber and Data Security and Social Engineering category;
- Humber College was awarded Gold in the Global Citizenship category while Niagara College tied an Australian institution for Bronze;
- British Columbia Institute of Technology and Saskatchewan Polytechnic were awarded Gold and Silver in the Indigenous Education category; and,
- CICan was awarded Gold in in the Sustainable Development category, which recognizes an institution or association that has demonstrated excellence in advancing environmental sustainability through knowledge, tools, practices, and technologies.
- Denise Amyot, president and CEO of CICan was awarded Gold in the Lifetime Achievement category, recognizing her many years of dedication and countless contributions to the global TVET sector.
- Jane Ngobia of Sheridan College was awarded Silver in the Leadership in Diversity and Inclusion category; and
- Andrea Prins of Lambton College was awarded Gold in the category for Outstanding Student Achievement.
View the complete list of recipients on the WFCP website, and join us in Montreal for the next WFCP World Congress in April 2023.
“The WFCP Awards of Excellence are an important international recognition of our efforts and the progress we have made across Canada. With twelve winners in various categories, Canada’s colleges and institutes have shown the world just how strong our sector is. Congratulations to all of this year’s WFCP Awards of Excellence winners.”
Denise Amyot, President and CEO of CICan
About Colleges and Institutes Canada:
CICan is the national and international voice of Canada’s largest post-secondary education network. It advocates, builds capacity, and drives knowledge to strengthen Canada’s publicly supported colleges, institutes, CEGEPs, and polytechnics. With more than 95% of Canadians living within 50 km of a member institution, and thanks to its extensive reach around the globe, CICan works to future-proof communities in Canada and abroad.
We respectfully acknowledge that CICan’s offices in Ottawa are located on the traditional and unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishinaabe Nation.
For more information:
Senior Strategic Communications Officer
Colleges and Institutes Canada
Phone: 613-746-2222 ext. 3131