CICan’s commitment to the Sustainable Development Goals
CICan’s vision of better futures for people and communities is guided and inspired by the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Colleges and institutes are playing a critical role in Canada’s progress towards these goals and CICan is leading the way.
The SDGs provide a framework for collaboration, among our members and with partners, to ensure our actions contribute to positive change for people and planet. Our own programs, both domestic and international, are all tied to at least one of the 17 SDGs.
The SDGs are also reflected in our strategic plan, Strengthening the System, and embedded in all our activities and programs to maximize their impact. In 2019, we launched the ImpAct initiative to build on the shared values and aspirations of our members and amplify the college and institute system’s contributions to economic and social development, community well-being and a sustainable future. Colleges and institutes have a key role to play in supporting the transition to a greener future.
As part of this initiative we created a valuable SDG toolkit which can be used by members as an open education resource. We also offer the ImpAct Internships program to help employers advance priorities that align with the SDGs and encourage Canadian youth to become SDG ambassadors as they gain critical skills for the 21st century.
CICan is a proud signatory of the SDG Accord along with postsecondary institutions and stakeholder groups from around the world. It also encourages the sharing of best-practices by serving as the pan-Canadian UNEVOC Centre and the lead for the North American cluster of centres.
Join the SDG Accord
An invitation to be a leader in sustainability! Join Canadian colleges and institutes from across the country in making a bold, urgent and collective step change towards sustainability and be part of the United Nations Decade of Action to end poverty, rescue the planet and build a more peaceful world.
The next ten years are critical! Become a signatory of the SDG Accord, signed by nearly 300 post-secondaries worldwide and be part of creating better futures for peoples and communities.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- British Columbia Institute of Technology
- Canadore College
- Cégep du Vieux Montréal
- Cégep Édouard-Montpetit
- Cégep Gaspésie et des Îles
- Cégep Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu
- Cégep de Saint-Félicien
- Cégep de Trois-Rivières
- Cégep de Victoriaville
- Centennial College
- Collège Montmorency
- College d’Alma
- Collège Ahuntsic
- Collège de Bois-de-Boulogne
- Collège de Rosemont
- Confederation College
- Dawson College
- Durham College
- Georgian College
- Humber College
- Kwantlen Polytechnic
- Lambton College
- Lethbridge College
- Loyalist College
- Mohawk College
- New Brunswick College of Craft and Design
- Northern College
- Nova Scotia Community College
- Olds College
- Red Deer Polytechnic
- Saskatchewan Polytechnic
- Selkirk College
- Seneca College
- Sheridan College
- Thompson Rivers University
- Vancouver Island University
- Vanier College
President’s Advisory Committee on Sustainability
The President’s Advisory Committee on Sustainability (PACoS) provides strategic input and guidance on opportunities and challenges related to strengthening and accelerating our members contributions towards achieving sustainability and a net-zero economy. This work is aligned with the CICan strategic plan and leverages the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals as a framework.
- Dr. Janet Morrison (Chair), President and Vice Chancellor, Sheridan College
- Dr. Paula Burns (Past Chair), President and CEO, Lethbridge College
- Dr. Lesley Brown, President, Yukon University
- Don Bureaux, President, Nova Scotia Community College
- Angus Graeme, President, Selkirk College
- Yolaine Arseneau, Directrice générale, Cégep Gaspésie et des Iles
- Kathleen Lynch, President, Confederation College
- Ray Karasevich, President and CEO, Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology
- Stuart Cullum, President, Olds College
- Dr. Maggie Matear, President, Yukon University
- Ajay Patel, President, Vancouver Community College
- Sylvain Lambert, Directeur général, Cégep Édouard-Montpetit
- Sylvain Mandeville, Directeur général, Cégep Marie-Victorin