Skills Enhancement for Newcomers is a two-year national initiative to help newcomers to Canada optimize their existing skills and succeed at integrating into the Canadian labour market.
As part of the project, CICan is collaborating with colleges and institutes, and employers from across the country to develop and implement three soft skills microcredentials focused on Communication, Collaboration, and Adaptability.
Together we will:
- Develop and offer soft skills training workshops to address skills gaps and barriers faced by newcomers to help them gain meaningful employment in Canada.
- Accelerate newcomers’ knowledge and practice of Canadian workplace skills, with a specific focus on Communication, Adaptability, and Collaboration.
- Demonstrate how Skills for Success can be used by employers to select and hire qualified candidates.
- According to a 2019 report, immigrants earn about 10% less than their Canadian-born counterparts.
- Skills for Success is a modern framework designed to reflect the fundamental skills required for success in learning, work, and life. Learn more.
- The 9 Skills for Success are Reading, Writing, Numeracy, Digital, Problem Solving, Communication, Adaptability, Collaboration, Creativity, and Innovation.
This project is funded by the Government of Canada’s Adult Learning, Literacy and Essential Skills program.