As part of its commitment to support equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI), as well as promoting greater access to post-secondary education for all, Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) launched ImpAct-EDI in June 2021. This new national initiative aims to facilitate the sharing of best practices and promote a coordinated approach to foster a culture of inclusion specific to the college and institute system.
The initiative will provide colleges and institutes with the knowledge, skills and tools they need to support students, faculty, staff, their local communities and employers to advance EDI, and includes:
- A new National EDI Advisory Committee that will provide guidance to the association;
- A new community of practice that will spearhead national cross-sector partnerships and will lead on mobilization and calls for action to create a movement of stakeholders working together to advance EDI;
- A knowledge hub;
- The McConnel Foundation project;
- The 50-30 Challenge Project
National EDI Advisory Committee
The CICan National Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Advisory Committee provides input to CICan on EDI related to its strategic priorities and activities in advocacy, building capacity and driving knowledge.
It also serves as a forum to support and guide college and institute leaders and professional practitioners to better serve under-represented learners and communities across Canada.
For a list of the CICan National EDI Advisory Committee please visit CICan Advisory Committees.
CICan 50-30 Challenge Project
The 50 – 30 Challenge
Overview of the CICan Project
Building on CICan’s expertise and the experience and expertise of our members and in partnership with our members, the 50-30 Challenge will accelerate adoption of evidence-based practices in EDI across the college and institute system. To maximize effectiveness, there will be a focus on the following four broad categories.
- Knowledge mobilization
- Capacity building
- Dissemination and promotion
50-30 Challenge Ecosystem Partners
- Colleges and Institutes Canada
- Diversity Institute
- Egale Canada
- The Women’s Economic Council
- The Global Compact Network
Sustainable Development Goals
- Goal 4: Quality Education
- Goal 5: Gender Equality
- Goal 10: Reduced Inequality