Inspired by CICan’s 5-year Strategic Plan 2019-2024, the ImpAct initiative, backed by the McConnell Foundation and placed under the patronage of the Canadian Commission for UNESCO, aims to support colleges and institutes in achieving their shared vision of Better Futures for Peoples and Communities.
This project builds on the common values and aspirations of CICan members and is designed to amplify the college and institute system’s contributions to economic and social development, community well-being and a sustainable future by supporting deliberate and collaborative approaches.
An advisory committee of Presidents and Directors General will guide the project, bringing the perspectives of large, small, urban, rural and Northern institutions from across the country. Members include:
- Chair: Paula Burns, President and CEO, Lethbridge College, Alberta
- Karen Barnes, President and Vice Chancellor, Yukon College, Yukon
- Mylène Boisclair, Directrice générale, Cégep du Vieux Montréal, Québec
- Don Bureaux, President, Nova Scotia Community College, Nova Scotia
- Angus Graeme, President, Selkirk College, British Columbia
- Janet Morrison, President and Vice-Chancellor, Sheridan College, Ontario
The ImpAct project’s actions will be guided by Canada’s commitments to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The students and communities served by colleges and institutes increasingly recognize the urgency of pursuing the SDGs’ vision of “peace and prosperity for people and the planet”. By using the SDGs as a framework for setting priorities, partnering with others and measuring results, the ImpAct project will support CICan members in collaborating for a healthy, inclusive, prosperous and sustainable 21st century Canada.
For further information please contact: Judi Varga-Toth, Project Lead, at 613-746-2222, ext. 3140 or JVarga-Toth@collegesinstitutes.ca.