The CICan Paul and Gerri Charette Bursary Program aims to provide financial support to college and institute students that demonstrate financial need and who often face greater challenges and barriers to participate and complete post-secondary education. Students attending colleges or institutes in rural, remote, or northern areas will be given preference for the ten bursaries of up to $5,000 each.
Application Guidelines for Colleges and Institutes
- Only CICan member institutions may participate.
- Institutions can only submit one eligible student for consideration. Additional applications will be not be considered.
- The student must be enrolled full time in the first year of a multi-year program at a CICan member institution.
- The student must be a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant, permanent resident, or a protected person.
- The student must be in financial need. Note: the financial need of the applicant will be determined by the respective college or institute in accordance with provincial and territorial student assistance programs/guidelines.
- Preference will be given to students attending colleges or institutes in rural, remote, or northern areas.
- There is no age limit.
Institutions must submit an application on behalf of their student by a date to be determined in the Spring of 2020.
The submission must include the following:
- An endorsement letter signed by the President or Director General of the institution that should highlight the financial needs of the student.
- A short essay (max 1000 words) by the student describing the impact that the bursary will have on their ability to attend a college or institute and their involvement in the community.
- Two letters of support from people who know the student. This can include a past or current employer, a teacher, a college administrator, a member of a community or campus organization, someone involved in student services or a faculty member.
- Contact information for the college or institute in which the student is enrolled.
Each submission will be reviewed by a national committee of regional representatives from CICan member institutions whose positions are directly related to student services: e.g. registrars, academic counsellors, vice-presidents.
The selection results will be shared with the President or Director General of each applicant institution.