Ottawa, May 18, 2012 – From May 26-29, ACCC and Nova Scotia Community College will co-host the biennial congress of the World Federation of Colleges and Polytechnics’ (WFCP). Driving the Global Economy will stimulate dialogue on the profound influence of applied education on societies, economies and communities.
“Never before has applied higher education been more important. Governments around the world realize that it is a powerful development tool that transforms lives and drives economies. The World Federation of Colleges and Polytechnics’ 2012 Congress supports leadership of applied education. It showcases the latest research, ideas and innovations that are strengthening what colleges and polytechnics offer,” says James Knight, ACCC President and CEO, and Chair of WFCP.
Keynote presenters include:
- National Chief Betty Ann Lavallée, Congress of Aboriginal Peoples
- President Vicente Fox, President of Mexico (2000-2006)
- Lieutenant-General (ret) Roméo A. Dallaire, Senator
- Ann Buller, Chair ACCC Board of Directors, President and CEO, Centennial College
- Dr. Claudio Ricardo Gomes de Lima, president of Conselho Nacional das Instituições da Rede Federal de Educação Profissional, Científica e Tecnológica, Brazil
- The Honourable Fazal Karim, Senator and Minister of Science, Technology and Tertiary Education Trinidad and Tobago
- Brian Tamblyn, President and CEO, Georgian College
- His Excellency Zeferino Martins, Minister of Education, Mozambique
- Dr. Shyamal Majumdar, Head, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization –International Center for Technical and Vocational Education and Training
- Chris Jansen Van Rensburg, Director, South African Technology Network
- Dr. Jiang Bo, Secretary General, China Education Association for International Exchange
- Dr. Saleh A. S. Al-Amr, Vice Governor for Planning and Development, Technical and Vocational Training, Saudi Arabia
- Mike Roberts, Vice President, Corporate Development, Irving Shipbuilding Inc.
- Mary Simon, OC, QC, President, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami
- Yasna Provoste Campillay, former Minister of Planning and Education, Chile
- Daniel Christmas, Senior Advisor, Membertou, Mi’kmaw Nation
- Kelly J. Lendsay, President and CEO, Aboriginal Human Resource Council
- Rustum Southwell, Chief Executive Officer, Black Business Initiative, Nova Scotia
- Dr. Fritz Pinnock, Executive Director, Caribbean Maritime Institute
- John Kao, Chair of the World Economic Forum’s Global Advisory Council on Innovation
- Beverley J. Oda, Minister of International Cooperation, Canada
- Stephen Lewis, Celebrated Humanitarian and Former UN Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa
- Nicolas Mendoza, Nova Scotia Community College International Student
- His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada
The Congress will take place May 26 to 29, 2012 at the World Trade & Convention Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
The program is available online at: http://world.accc.ca/congress/index.php/en/program
Visit the World Congress website at: http://world.accc.ca/congress/
For more information, contact:
Manager, Communications and Information Services
Tel: (613) 746-2222 ext 3123