Ottawa, May 4, 2017 – The results are in for this year’s CICan Art Showcase! Over the past few months, Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) invited students from member institutions to submit original pieces of artwork for consideration in its 2017 Art Showcase.
Over 120 students from across the country submitted drawings, paintings, sculptures, photographs, and textile creations – the most ever received in this competition! The winners were selected in an online vote and announced at CICan’s Annual Conference, in Ottawa.
“ We are incredibly grateful to our members and their students for all the submissions we received”, said CICan president and CEO, Denise Amyot. “ I am always dazzled by the creativity and talent on display in our annual Art Showcase, and once again, our students delivered some unique and breathtaking works of art.”
This year’s showcase awarded five top prizes in various categories.
- Danielle Boer from Niagara College for Feeding the Needy in the Digital Illustration & Animation category,
- Leah Probst from Fanshawe College for Embrace in the Drawing category,
- Rachel Sylvia Meissner from Niagara College for Lake Michigan in the Painting category,
- Lisa Clements from Dalhousie Faculty of Agriculture for Bean the Sheep in the Photography category, and
- Shinaid McGillivray from New Brunswick College of Craft and Design for Enchanted Mushroom Teapot Set in the Sculpture, Textile, & Mixed Media category.
The winner in each category will receive a cash prize of $300 and have their work displayed on the walls of CICan’s office in Ottawa. The three finalists in each category will also be displayed on our website.
To view the winning artwork go to https://www.collegesinstitutes.ca/2017-art-showcase/
Colleges and Institutes Canada is the national and international voice of Canada’s publicly-supported colleges, institutes, cegeps and polytechnics. Its members offer over 8000 programs, working with industry and social sectors to train 1.5 million learners of all ages and backgrounds at campuses serving over 3,000 urban, rural and remote communities in Canada. CICan and its members are committed to driving Canadian prosperity by being global leaders in applied education and partnered innovation.
For more information:
Senior Strategic Communications Officer
Colleges and Institutes Canada
Tel. : 613-746-2222 ext. 3131
Twitter : @CollegeCan