Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) is committed to working through an Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) lens to become a stronger ally in its strategic focus on advocacy, building capacity, and driving knowledge. Its commitment to EDI is not only an ethical and moral responsibility, but also necessary for a resilient and sustainable recovery.
We have an opportunity now, as individuals and as a sector, to address structural and systemic barriers to inclusion in ways that move beyond good intentions to action.
The CICan National Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Advisory Committee provides input to CICan on EDI related to its strategic priorities and activities in advocacy, building capacity and driving knowledge.
It also serves as a forum to support and guide college and institute leaders and professional practitioners to better serve under-represented learners and communities across Canada.
- Advise CICan on issues related to EDI in the college and institute system.
- Provide input on CICan position papers and its responses to federal government consultations and advocacy documents related to EDI and skills development.
- Support CICan with the adoption of a national EDI framework.
- Provide input to the programming of the CICan annual conference and other events to ensure EDI principles and the CICan policy are included.
- Promote awareness of the role of colleges and institutes in advancing EDI excellence.
- Act as a liaison point on issues around EDI within committee members’ respective provinces/territories.
- Members must be senior-level individuals (at the Director level or higher) who play a leading role in directing EDI in their institution.
- The committee is composed of a minimum of one to a maximum of three representatives from CICan member institutions in each province/territory. Only one representative per member institution is permitted.
- Members are expected to attend all meetings. A member who misses three consecutive meetings may be requested to leave the committee.
- All members are required to be familiar with and abide by the provisions of the CICan Policy on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
Individuals are invited to express their interest in participating on this new CICan EDI Advisory Committee by completing the following form by Friday, November 19, 2021. Questions? Please contact us.