CICan is calling on its members to become delivery partners for a new micro-certificate to support the long-term care sector.
The COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated and exposed the devastating impact of chronic staff shortages in long-term and home care. In response, CICan is collaborating with colleges and institutes from across the country to create and implement the Supportive Care Assistant Program which will train workers for careers in the sector and provide much needed support to those living and those working in long-term care.
Your college or institute can be a part of this national initiative, provide opportunities for displaced workers to get new skills for in-demand jobs, and help address the acute labour shortages in the sector.
The fully subsidized micro-certificate includes six weeks of online training and a four-month paid work placement. It is funded by Employment and Social Development Canada and part of CICan’s Building Capacity in Long-term Care project.
- Institutions delivering the micro-certificate will receive a tuition subsidy for each enrolled student
- The curriculum content is free and will be available on a learning management system (LMS), or you can integrate the content into your dedicated LMS
- Program delivery is flexible and can be offered asynchronously or in cohorts
- The program integrates a laddering process into full personal care provider certification
- The program is available in both French and English
- Marketing and recruitment support will be provided
- Employer partners will receive a $5,000 wage subsidy per student
- Dependant care bursaries are available for students
Funding is available for up to 2,600 students this fiscal year (until March 2022). Program delivery will begin in April, 2021.
The deadline for submissions is October 1, 2021. Note that funding is on a first-come, first-serve basis and we encourage interested colleges and institutes to apply early.
For questions, please contact SCA-APSS@collegesinstitutes.ca
To apply to become a delivery partner for the Supportive Care Assistant Program, please complete the below form.