CICan Leadership Institutes are for CICan members only.
Who should attend
This Leadership Institute is designed for those currently in the role of manager, associate dean, or associate director, who are looking to progress in their careers and aspire to become deans or directors. Recently appointed deans and directors may be interested in attending to garner knowledge on the leadership profile essential for success and approaches that may contribute to the development of their function within the institution.
What you will learn
This intensive program is designed primarily to enhance participants’ knowledge of the expectations at the dean and director level. Managers who are looking to progress in their careers and develop their leadership abilities will examine the current and emerging requirements of the roles of deans and directors and the leadership profile and skills essential for success in a changing and challenging landscape.
A number of key areas will be examined, including:
- leadership (self-assessment and skills assessment);
- the environmental context: changes and challenges for institutions;
- transitioning from a program focus to a broader institutional focus: seeing things differently;
- management vs leadership;
- senior management expectations;
- team relationships and building team capacity;
- leading in a unionized environment;
- the value of mentorship and coaching: for self and for a team; and,
- the key elements and challenges of the dean/director roles.
- Odette Côté, Director General, Champlain Regional College
- Margaret Heldman, Dean, Faculty of Science, Langara College
- Randall Heidt, Vice President Strategic Initiatives, North Island College
- Tim Walker, Director, Finance & Institutional Research, New Brunswick Community College
- Gail Mulhall, Manager, Member Relations, CICan
Early registration is encouraged for a maximum of 30 participants. Participation is restricted to individuals from CICan member institutions and to a maximum of 2 participants per college. Should space permit, an additional participant may be considered.
The training offered by CICAN was experiential and absolutely relevant to advancing participants to new Leadership Roles. The faculty are approachable, engaging and so knowledgeable and eager to share their experiences. I would highly recommend this training.
|Day||Date||Time||Member Activities||Non-Member Activities|
|Day 1||Member Activity: |
Registration & Reception
|Day 2||Member Activity: |
|Day 3||Member Activity: |
|Day 4||Member Activity: |
|Day 5||Member Activity: |
|Day 6||Member Activity: |
Breakfast and Departure
|Leadership Institute for Managers||Member Fees: 1,800.00||Non-Member Fees: Closed Event|