The 2017 CICan Leadership Institute for Program Chairs is now full.
Formerly CLMDI – Chairs Leadership and Management Development Institute
The CICan Leadership Institute is for CICan members only.
Who should attend:
Those currently in the role of program chair, or managers responsible for program areas or service areas, who seek to develop their leadership abilities and to better understand the trends impacting their current position.
What you will learn:
This intensive program is designed to enhance the leadership skills of chairs and managers responsible for either program and service areas in the college and institute setting. It will examine the current and emerging leadership requirements of these roles and also consider the profile and skills essential for success.
Participants will examine a number of key areas, including:
- leadership – self-assessment and skills assessment
- the environmental context in which institutions currently exist
- moving from a program focus to a broader institutional focus
- the key elements and challenges of this role
- senior management expectations and team relationships
- building team capacity
- managing in a college/institute context
- the value of mentorship – for self and for team
- Don Gnatiuk, President, Grande Prairie Regional College
- Sandra Murphy, Vice-President, Academic and Chief Learning Officer, Centennial College
- Mary Butler, Vice-President, Academic Development, New Brunswick Community College
- Marilyn Herie, Associate Vice-President, Learning Innovation, Teaching Excellence and Academic Quality, Centennial College
- Brett Griffiths, Dean, School of Trades, Technology and Design, Vancouver Community College
- Leah Jurkovic, Director, Communications and Stakeholder Engagement, CICan
Note: The operational language will be English. Participants will also be signed up for a group electronic list in late May and will receive further information on the agenda, getting to know one another, arranging rides, etc.
Early registration is encouraged for a maximum of 25 participants. Participation is restricted to individuals from CICan member institutions and to a maximum of 2 participants per college. Should space permit, an additional participant may be considered.
Location and Schedule
500 Cook Road
Kelowna, BC V1W 3G9
Saturday, June 24 – 17:30
Registration, Reception and Dinner (participants only)
Sunday, June 25 to Wednesday, June 28 – All day
Thursday, June 29
Breakfast and Departure
Registration Fee – $1800
Please note that accommodation and 2 dinners are NOT included in the registration fee.
- Breakfast (5)
- Lunch (4)
- Dinner (3)
Our cancellation policy is as follows:
- Prior to May 24, 2017: A refund of 50% of the full amount paid.
- After May 24, 2017: No refunds.
- Substitute are accepted by email up to June 19, 2017.
- You can cancel your own registration online up to June 19, 2017 or email us your cancellation request.
- We do not accept cancellations by phone.
Please note that accommodation is not included in the registration fee.
500 Cook Road
Kelowna, BC V1W 3G9
A block of rooms has been reserved at the Hotel Eldorado, at a preferred rate of $180 + tax, prior to Monday, May 23rd, 2017. Reservations at the preferred rate can be made by identifying yourself as a participant attending the “CICan – Colleges and Institutes Canada“:
Travel and Distance
If you are traveling by plane, we invite you to take advantage of our 10% discount rate for the following company:
- Travel destination for Kelowna, BC (YLW) only
- Travel period begins Saturday, June 17, 2017 and ends Thursday, July 06, 2017
- No discount will apply to Tango and Executive Class lowest bookings for travel within Canada or between Canada and the U.S.
Distance by Car from:
- From Kelowna International Airport (YLW) – 25 minutes (16.2 k.m.)
Program Information: Leah Jurkovic, 613-746-2222 ext. 3119
Registration Information: Bruce Landry, 613-746-2222 ext. 3162
The leadership institute reminded me to be the change I wanted to see. I came back refreshed with renewed perspective and new colleagues.
Chair, School of Language & Liberal Studies, School of Language & Liberal Studies
The CICAN Leadership Institute has meaningfully impacted my work as an academic chair. In the months since, I have often found myself implementing an idea, exercise, or practice that I learned there. It has absolutely helped me to enhance my own professional skills and to model innovation within my institution.
Dr. Chris Jackman
Chair, Arts & Design, School of Communications, Media, Arts & Design