CICan Leadership Institutes are for CICan members only.
Who should attend
This Leadership Institute is designed for those in the role of manager or new director in international offices and divisions who seek leadership development for their current position, and leaders who are new or interested in learning how to better lead their department and institution in international initiatives.
What you will learn
This intensive program is designed to enhance the leadership skills of current managers or new directors in international divisions within colleges and institutes. Leaders who are either new or interested in learning more about how to lead their department and institution in international initiatives will gain significant knowledge about the international leadership role. It will examine the current and emerging leadership requirements of the role of International Managers, and consider the leadership profile and skills essential for success.
Participants will examine a number of key areas, including:
- leadership (self-assessment and skills assessment);
- the key elements and challenges of this role;
- the role of the international offices and divisions in your institution;
- reporting structures, financial models, recruitment strategies, and organizational structures;
- off-shore projects, programs and campuses, their opportunities and challenges, and how to access funding agencies;
- HR management practices and approaches; and,
- risk management in international work.
- Ann Buller, President, Centennial College
- Don Young, Dean, SLC International, St. Lawrence College
- Alain Roy, Vice-President, International Partnerships, CICan
Early registration is encouraged for a maximum of 25 participants. Participation is restricted to individuals from CICan member institutions and to a maximum of 2 participants per college. Should space permit, an additional participant may be considered.
Location and Schedule
3100 Foul Bay Rd
Victoria BC V8P 5J2
Friday, April 27 – 17:30
Registration, Reception and Dinner (participants only)
Saturday, April 28 – all day
Sunday, April 29
Registration Fee – $650
Please note that accommodation is NOT included in the registration fee.
- Breakfast (2)
- Lunch (1)
- Dinner (2)
Our cancellation policy is as follows:
- Prior to March 23, 2018: A refund of 50% of the full amount paid.
- After March 23, 2018: No refunds.
- Substitutes are accepted by email up to April 20, 2018.
- You can cancel your own registration online up to April 20, 2018 or email us your cancellation request.
- We do not accept cancellations by phone.
Please note that accommodation is not included in the registration fee
Travel and Distance
If you are traveling by plane, we invite you to take advantage of our 10% discount rate for the following company:
Group Code: XBMM9XH1
- Travel destination for Victoria, BC (YYJ) only
- Travel period begins Saturday, April 21, 2018 and ends Thursday, May 10, 2018
- No discount will apply to Tango and Executive Class lowest bookings for travel within Canada or between Canada and the U.S.
Coupon Code: UJDERAL
- Travel destination for Victoria, BC (YYJ) only
- Travel period begins April 21, 2018 and ends May 12, 2018
- Discounts apply to Econo, Flex and Plus fares
- Discount only applies to flights marketed and operated wholly by WestJet, and are not applicable when travelling with our code-share, interline or other airline partners
Program Information: Alain Roy, 613-746-2222 ext. 3069
Registration Information: Bruce Landry, 613-746-2222 ext. 3162
The specific and varied stories shared by the senior Deans/Directors of International provided a long-term picture of the necessary foundation needed for international education start-up operations, right through to the bumps, bruises and huge successes experienced as a result of comprehensive internationalization mandates. The conversations were compelling and the strong mentor/mentee relationships continue to support emerging leaders across Canada’s college sector.
Manager, Global Consulting and Partnerships
Même si ça faisait quelques années que j’étais dans mes fonctions, l’ajout de nouveaux dossiers à mes responsabilités m’a amené à m’inscrire à l’Institut de leadership afin de m’inspirer de ce qui faisait dans les autres Collèges canadiens. Je n’ai jamais regretté ma décision et j’ai grandement profité de cette semaine (bien remplie) d’échanges, d’apprentissages et de réseautage. En tant que Cégep québécois, nous avons peu d’occasion d’échanger avec nos collègues canadiens alors c’était extrêmement enrichissant de voir ce qui se fait ailleurs dans le réseau, même si nos réalités sont différentes. Je recommanderais sans réserve la participation à l’institut de leadership à tous les responsables internationaux!
Coordonnatrice, Bureau international, Campus de Québec
The Leadership Institute allowed me to gain a greater depth of knowledge relating to International Education and to feel a deeper connection to the industry. I appreciated the willingness of the faculty to share their insights, experience, and practical examples of how each participant can achieve personal and professional growth. I was able to take away a tangible plan to share with my team to improve our work in serving International Students well and helping them achieve academic and personal success. The friendships and professional connections I gained through participating in the LIELI were invaluable.
Brad Van Dam
Manager, Business Operations – International Education & External Development