The CICan Leadership Institute is for CICan members only.
Over the past 15 years, colleges and institutes have seen an exponential increase in their applied research activity, with corresponding infrastructure changes, new sources of funding, greater faculty and student involvement, and a dramatic increase in industry and community engagement. There is also a diversity in the research as many institutions are doing both industrial/technological research and social innovation research. Today’s college and institute applied research leaders must play multiple roles: they must be strategic and visionary but also strong operationally. They must advocate for applied research in college and institute mandates, and be key linkages to local business, industry, community partners as well as government.
Who should attend
Those in the role of manager or new director in applied research offices/divisions who seek leadership development for their current position; research division staff (e.g. project managers, industry liaison staff, research coordinators); individuals from other areas of the institution who aspire to leadership positions in applied research or are interested in learning how to better lead their department and institution in applied research and innovation initiatives.
What you will learn
This intensive program will focus on the current and emerging requirements of the role of Applied Research Leaders in colleges and institutes and will explore the leadership profile and skills essential for success.
Participants will examine a number of key areas, including:
- leadership – self-assessment and skills assessment
- the key elements and challenges of the role of applied research leader in a college
- diversity and scope of college-based applied research across Canada
- the role of the applied research office/division in institutions
- strategic approaches and risk management
- funding mechanisms
- internal relationships and external partnerships
- intellectual property and research ethics
- projects and programs – opportunities and challenges
- link between research and innovation and entrepreneurship
- Jim Hamilton, President, Okanagan College
- Dawn Davidson, Associate Vice-President, Research and Innovation, George Brown College
- Kim Dotto, Dean, Applied Research, British Columbia Institute of Technology
- Ray Hoemsen, Executive Director, Research Partnerships and Innovation, Red River College
- Anna Toneguzzo, Director, Government Relations & Policy Research, CICan
Early registration is encouraged for a maximum of 25 participants. Participation is restricted to individuals from CICan member institutions and to a maximum of 2 participants per college. Should space permit, an additional participant may be considered.
Location and Schedule
Executive Suites Hotel
4201 Lougheed Hwy
Burnaby, BC V5C 3Y6
Saturday, July 28 – 17:30
Registration, Reception and Dinner (participants only)
Sunday, July 29 to Wednesday, August 1 – All day
Thursday, August 2
Breakfast and Departure
Registration Fee – $1800
Please note that accommodation and 2 dinners are NOT included in the registration fee.
- Breakfast (5)
- Lunch (4)
- Dinner (3)
Our cancellation policy is as follows:
- Prior to May 23, 2018: A refund of 50% of the full amount paid.
- After May 23, 2018: No refunds.
- Substitute are accepted by email up to July 21, 2018.
- You can cancel your own registration online up to July 21, 2018 or email us your cancellation request.
- We do not accept cancellations by phone.
Please note that accommodation is not included in the registration fee.
Executive Suites Hotel
4201 Lougheed Hwy
Vancouver, BC V5C 3Y6
A block of rooms has been reserved at the Executive Suites Hotel, at a preferred rate of $199 + taxes, prior to June 27, 2018. Reservations at the preferred rate can be made by identifying yourself as a participant attending the “CICan Leadership Institute for Applied research and Innovation.”
- email@example.com Booking ID: 25728
- 1-800-590-3932 or 604-298-2010
Travel and Distance
If you are travelling by plane, we invite you to take advantage of our 10% discount rate for the following company:
- Travel destination for Vancouver, YVR (BC)
- The travel period begins Friday, July 20, 2018 and ends Friday, August 10, 2018.
- No discount will apply to Tango bookings for travel within Canada or between Canada and the U.S.
Program Information: Anna Toneguzzo, 613-746-2222 ext. 3103
Registration Information: Bruce Landry, 613-746-2222 ext. 3162