- Instituto Industrial de Matundo in Tete focused on mechanical maintenance, electrical maintenance and civil construction streams.
- Instituto Médio de Geologia e Minas, also in Tete is developing curricula for the mining, geology, mineral processing, and topography streams.
- In Cabo Delgado province, STEM is working with the Instituto Industrial e Comercial de Pemba, the Centro de Formação Profissional INEFP de Pemba and the Escola Técnica Profissional de Macomia in the developing curricula for the oil and gas sector.
- Development of Student Services Centres is helping students pursuing additional training opportunities, better connect with employers, and obtain other supports.
- Six-year program (2014 – 2020)
- This project seeks to increase economic opportunities for 4,000 qualified women and men in Mozambique by improving their access to the job market.
STEM is supported by the Government of Canada through the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD). It has a budget of $18,000,000 CDN.
Skills Training for Employment in Mozambique (STEM) builds on the groundwork laid by CICan’s EFE-Africa project in Mozambique. This six-year program is implemented in partnership with the Government of Mozambique in the Tete and Cabo Delgado provinces at four technical and vocational institutes. Teacher training, management training and procurement of industrial training equipment are the cornerstones of the project that will lead to an enhanced quality and delivery of demand-driven, competency-based, gender and environmentally-sensitive training programs.
Focused on the extractive sector (mining, oil and gas), STEM is increasing opportunities for Mozambican men and women in the country’s growing economy. The program is strengthening the quality of skills training programs in the selected provinces and improving the delivery of extractive education through competency-based curriculum development. CICan is also working with the Ministry of Education in Mozambique to develop private partnerships and secure industrial training equipment to give students hands-on experience with the daily tools that form their profession.