- 800 ready-to-go deferred maintenance projects valued at $1.6 billion
- 200 new construction projects valued at $6 billion
- Thousands of students are on waitlisted programs in high demand fields: Trades; Healthcare; and Engineering technologies
- Over 1/3 of college and institute programs operate with equipment that is below the standard of current workplace equipment
- $854 million is needed to upgrade college and institute equipment
Over 60% of existing college and institute infrastructure currently exceeds its 40-year life cycle and requires replacement or significant maintenance. As a result, many colleges and institutes are at or near enrolment capacity, resulting in waitlists for programs in high-demand fields such as trades, healthcare and engineering technologies.
Employers need graduates who are capable of using state-of-the-art equipment when they enter the workforce. Equipment upgrades are critical to ensure that training programs produce sufficient employable graduates and support industry in achieving higher productivity.